There are many options available that can help keep senior citizens safe and secure in their own home while also helping to keep them independent of nursing home facilities, retirement homes and other less personal alternatives. These options can be used independently or in conjunction to customize a solution that makes the most sense in your particular situation.
1) Automated Medical Alert Pendants / Necklaces – Many monitored services are available out there that offer a personal medical alert pendant or necklace that can be worn around the neck and in the event of an emergency (medical, police or fire), the authorities can be signaled at the touch of a button and help can be on its way. When monitored by a security company, this becomes a very valuable piece of equipment and can safe the live of your loved one.
2) Automated Wristwatch Medical Alert – Much like the above option, the personal medical alert watches act in the same manner. The difference is that the watch is worn around the wrist, rather than around the neck. Other than that, the functionality is identical.
3) Medical Alert Bracelets or Necklaces – These are just like ID bracelets or dog tags and list allergies or medical conditions so that if the authorities arrive after an emergency they know how to treat you or your loved one without causing additional problems. This option does not alert the authorities – just gives them more information when they arrive on the scene.
4) A Home Security System – A Traditional Home Security System is great for senior citizens as well. In the event of an intruder, fire or even a Carbon Monoxide leak, a signal can be passed to a central monitoring station for immediate investigation and dispatch. Also, depending upon the options selected with your security system, you can have a Two Way Voice component where 24 hours a day / 7 days a week / 365 days a year, you can talk directly with a live security representative from your alarm panel in the event of an emergency. Also, there are typically Police, Fire and Medical panic buttons on the alarm panels for immediate signaling to the monitoring center.
5) Programmable Keychain Remotes – If you would prefer not to wear a pendant or wristwatch, but would like to know that help is just a button push away, keychain remotes that come with the home security systems, can be programmed to have the panic button signal medical personnel in the event of an emergency, rather than police, which is the default setting. If this option would better suit you, you can discuss your needs with your security company to find the best solution.
The reality of the situation is that you will probably want to consider multiple solutions above since many of these items work together to help protect your loves ones in a myriad of ways. A recommendation would be to decide on whether you would prefer a medical pendant, a wristwatch or a programmable remote for your one push medical alert solution and couple this with the monitoring from your security system. From there, the only question is whether or not you would also like to have a bracelet or other ID indicating any allergies or illnesses in case of emergency. Or you can simply attach this information to your pendant or wristwatch so that everything is in one place.
Security Monitoring prices and packages can vary, but for around $40 per month – some packages are less and some are more, you can have whole house protection along with medical. The peace of mind that comes along with this package is included for no additional charge – regardless of the security vendor that you select. Plus you can save up to 20% on your Homeowners Insurance, which can negate some or all of your monthly monitoring charge.
Regardless, this is a much cheaper alternative to nursing homes or retirement homes and you can keep your elderly loved ones happy, independent and safe in the process.