Statistics show that nearly 10 million adults over the age of 50 are caring for aging parents, according to a study by the MetLife Mature Market Institute.
In her new book Mixed Nuts, professional counselor and therapist Dr. Mary Speed highlights actual patient experiences and offers advice on a variety of topic areas, including caring for an aging parent. Her tips include:
• When communicating, turn off any background distractions, such as the television or radio.
• Schedule appointments for the mornings. Before you go, work together to write down questions to ask.
• For arrivals and departures, plan for an extra 30 minutes each way.
• Try to connect new information and concepts to something familiar.
• Inform ahead of time about anticipated changes.
If you would like a copy or set up an interview with Dr. Speed, please contact Stephanie Lowe- firstname.lastname@example.org